The standard of medical treatment in the UK is largely very good but there are unfortunate occasions where you may not be satisfied with your treatment and there are options available to you.


In the first instance, you should go through the complaints procedure of your hospital/surgery/dentist/care provider. There may also be scope to seek compensation and therefore the second step is to make a claim for negligence against the treatment provider.


Lamb Brooks solicitors in Basingstoke can support you in making a complaint and also act for you in order to seek compensation.

What can compensation include?

Compensation is tailored to each individual case and awarded according to the extent of the loss. The aim of compensation is to put the person back in the financial position they would have been in, had the negligence not occurred.


A successful claim would include an award for pain, suffering and loss of amenity and also takes into account loss of earnings and other expenses.


Factors such as age, your job, life expectancy, the potential need for future care, therapy, treatment, travel expenses, prescriptions, aids and equipment and other foreseeable expenses can be included in the calculation. The compensation can also include the loss of earnings of a partner or family member who have provided care for you or escorted you to appointments and treatments.


Where the future is uncertain and symptoms may be ongoing as a result of the negligence, our solicitors are guided by medical opinion to give a prognosis, which will be considered in any settlement reached. Any further operations or treatments with additional recovery time off work and care, will be considered.

For further information and to see if your claim could be dealt with on a ‘no win, no fee’ basis, please call our friendly and experienced Clinical Negligence team on 01256 844888 or email enquiries@lambbrooks.com.

The contents of this article are for the purposes of general awareness only. They do not purport to constitute legal or professional advice. The law may have changed since this article was published. Readers should not act on the basis of the information included and should take appropriate professional advice upon their own particular circumstances.