As we are now in the school Summer holidays, many of us are returning from, looking forward to or perhaps just booking a last-minute summer holiday.


Packaged holidays are becoming increasingly popular as there are so many more options available online – whether you are seeking some simple sun or something more adventurous. Booking a package holiday not only takes the stress out of the organising, but also if something goes wrong, it gives you a better starting point than you would otherwise have had in making a claim for compensation.


One of the most upsetting things to happen whilst you are on holiday is becoming ill or getting injured. If this occurs whilst you are on a foreign package holiday you may be able to claim compensation against the tour operator here in England under the Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992. Under the regulations a ‘package tour’ is one where the tour provides both transport and accommodation.

The tour operator has a legal duty to take reasonable care for your safety whilst on such a holiday. If you are put in accommodation where the facilities are dangerous or the members of staff are careless, the tour operator may be held responsible for an accident which causes you injury. This could encompass anything from slippery floors to food poisoning caused in a hotel provided by the tour operator.


There are strict time limits for bringing package holiday claims, and you must ensure that any claim you bring is within the relevant time limit. You may be able to pay for your legal advice through an insurance policy or a “no win no fee” agreement – which means the financial risk of starting such a claim is greatly reduced.


If you think that you might have a claim, our team are happy to speak to you and will let you know what your chances could be. For assistance in making a claim or for further information on any personal injury matters please speak to our team today on 01256 844888 or email enquiries@lambbrooks.com


The contents of this article are for the purposes of general awareness only. They do not purport to constitute legal or professional advice.  The law may have changed since this article was published.   Readers should not act on the basis of the information included and should take appropriate professional advice upon their own particular circumstances.